Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge

All right, I'm not actually playing this little game, but maybe if I was, I'd be doing better on my stated blogging goals for this year.  I saw this question over at Rather Gamey, and had to answer it!

Day 23: First song that comes to mind that you associate with D&D.  Why?

I'm not sure how accurate this memory is, but it seems that whenever we played at the Flanigan house we kept Floyd and Zeppelin and the like playing in the background.  The Flanigans were part of original group of kids in our neighborhood that started playing in, I think, 1977.  It might have been '78... I'll have to ask next time I talk to them.  So is my choice a Pink Floyd song or a Led Zeppelin song?  Not even close... that prize goes to Gloria Gaynor singing "I Will Survive.!"

In '79 or '80 (wow, I'm not very good with the dates here, am I?), I started running a game for a group of friends from high school that didn't live in the neighborhood.  We rotated games primarily between four of our houses.  After I got my license, it seemed that whenever I drove over to the Daschbach house, I'd hear Gloria Gaynor belt out "I Will Survive" sometime during that short ten minute drive.  My wife and son have known for years that song SCREAMS D&D to me... simply because it's tied in my mind to the anticipation of heading to a gaming session.  These days, I'm far more likely to hear Cake's version, and I get a kick out of hearing my son sing it.  Truth be told, this version causes the same Pavlovian response in me.

Want me to run some AD&D for you, but I don't seem to be inspired?  Lemme hear you sing, "At first I was afraid, I was petrified..." along with Gloria Gaynor or Cake, and I'll be ready before you finish the song!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, going back and listening to the song . . . and yeah . . . Gloria Gaynor was obviously a players with a hoard-core DM. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now I've added links... Ark, if you listened to Gloria, you should listen to Cake, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my Cake and ate it too. Thanks for the music link. :)

      - Ark

      Delete